Sunday, March 22, 2015

Keeping It Real


I missed posting on Friday because what a week! I really lost track of the days with all we had going on. 

This week's word is REAL




I started this blog in order to be real about what it’s like to be a missionary. Zambia’s tourism motto is: Zambia—the Real Africa. Perhaps by extension that makes us the Real Missionaries. Ha ha

My intention though is to help people to understand that missionaries are real people—not superhumans, not metahumans (little geek humor) and certainly not saints. We struggle with the same issues: fear, loneliness, anger, etc.

I get scared by the things around us. I’ve lost my temper when faced with culture clashes. I’ve wept long and hard for losses here and far away. I’m not always content. (Once I saw pictures of family members on a beautiful vacation and I cried to my husband that it wasn’t fair! He reminded me that our reward is in Heaven. “But,” I wailed, “they get to go to Heaven too!”) Real. Not necessarily right. But honest.

However as I strive to show an authentic face to you about life as a missionary, I am also striving to become more like the most real human being to ever walk this earth. My goal is to become more like Him!


4 comments:

  1. Lisa BrittainMarch 22, 2015

    Thank you, Amy, for an authentic peek into your very real life as a missionary in Africa. I pray Father showers you with precious gifts of His presence on a daily basis and you are filled with unspeakable JOY in His delight in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather EslingerMarch 23, 2015

    Thank you Amy for helping to remind me to not focus on earthly material things. I forget that too. Though I don't tell you enough your blog has had a huge impact in my life. Keep us posted on real Africa and real missionaries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AmysAdventuresMarch 23, 2015

    Thank you, Heather. That means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AmysAdventuresMarch 23, 2015

    Thanks for stopping by, Lisa. Welcome to my corner of the net.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis